This guide will go through the steps in resetting the local CLI admin account on a XenMobile 10.x virtual appliance. Please be warned this is not approved by Citrix and i'm not responsible for any issues this causes!
- Linux bootable media (I used an Ubuntu desktop ISO)
- Access to VM console of XenMobile appliance
- You will need to reboot each node to complete
Password Reset Process
- Power down the XenMobile Node and "edit settings" of the VM.
- Add a CD\DVD to the VM and mount the Ubunutu desktop ISO
- Adjust the VM options to boot to the BIOS so we can change the boot order
- Adjust the options to boot to CD first
- Now Power up the VM and select "Try Ubuntu" to boot to the desktop from the ISO. Don't install.
- Once the desktop is loaded open "Terminal" from the menu on the left
- Once in the terminal we need to run the following commands as root so we use sudo..
- Mount the XenMobile appliance OS partition to the /tmp folder
mount /dev/sda3 /tmp
- Run chroot from the mounted location
- If you aren't sure what the 'admin' account is named you can look at the shadow file of the appliance to get a listing. You can see from the screenshot that admin is listed. DO NOT RESET ANY OF THE OTHER ACCOUNTS.
- Now that we know our account we can reset it. (This command will blank out the password. You won't be able to set it here.)
- Unmount the file system
- Shutdown the box from Ubuntu and remove the CD\DVD drive.
shutdown -h now
- You should now be able to login to the appliance from the console with the account you just reset with no password
- Once in make sure to set an actual password!
- Repeat same process on other XenMobile nodes