In this post, I'll cover how to deploy a fully automated Citrix Windows 2016 VDA on Azure using Packer. Packer is a very lightweight, open sourced tool to deploy identical images or templates from code. This process is designed to quickly deploy a Citrix VDA to be used for a POC or test environment. To get started you'll need the following.
- Azure account along with your subscription ID. Use the following to show the ID.
- Azure Powershell module installed
Install-Module -Name AzureRM
- The Server OS Virtual Delivery Agent downloaded and placed on a web server. (This can be stored as an Azure block blob or another web server accessible via the internet)
- Packer downloaded and installed to your machine ( I use chocolatey)
choco install packer
- Grab the needed files from my GitHub